Sunday, November 30, 2008

Things Are Not Always As They Appear

















I would like to take a moment to speak about grace under pressure and a sense of humor.  (At a later date we'll examine the finer points of politesse.) 

Not to obsess or anything, but I do find Champagne is the magic elixir in these situations. 

My ex-sister-in-law who is one of my best friends (we now refer to each other as just plain "sisters" since it takes waaaaay too long to explain our past) we were married to brothers, the fathers of our daughters.  Still with me?  We're both happily re-married.  At my niece's wedding, my "sister" said to the maitre d'hôtel:  "See this
glass, I'm the mother-of-the-bride, make sure it's never empty" -- or words to that affect and I'm sure she said "please". 

If, which I suspect is often the case with modern weddings, today's MOB is confronted with ex-husbands, ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, current girlfriend, stepchildren, unrelated children etc. connected to afore mentioned former husband; humor and grace under pressure become almost as important as finding that perfect under-eye dark circle concealer product (FYI, YSL Touche Eclat).

Case in point:  Carl, who was cute as a bug and in charge of making sure everything ran smoothly during the reception, told me -- as he handed over my first coupe of the evening -- that if I needed anything, anything at all his sole raison d'étre (for the next several hours) was to make me and I suppose by extension, the bride and the groom, happy and stress-free.

Mid-way into the festivities flushed and in a flutter, Carl ran up to me to apologize for doing what he described as "the most unimaginably horrible thing."  Doubting this was possible since he was too adorable for his own good, I calmly asked him what that terrible thing could possibly be.  He said:  "I saw you and your daughter's father walking her down the aisle and I thought you made such an attractive couple that I just told him I thought you were a 'real keeper'.  Then your ex-husband introduced me to his girlfriend and told me you haven't been married for at least 30 years."

Too funny.  

(Picture above -- again by Heather Stone -- shows two of the young men under Carl's command, to my great regret we have no photographic record of Carl's presence.)

Since we've been talking about my ex's girlfriend I would like to go on record: she is very attractive and extremely nice.  When she met me she said:  "Oh, I've heard such nice things about you."

I'm still trying to figure out who in the world would have told her something nice about me.  

No comments: