Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pearls of Wisdom


















I have an amazing jeweler named Pierre.  He's French and he's also a Buddhist -- stay with me and you'll understand why I'm mentioning this.

As an engagement present I gave my daughter a lovely string of opera length pearls that was a gift from her father.

 The clasp was completely banal --  a simple, classic closure.  On hand I also happened to have a diamond and sapphire ring given to me by an old boyfriend whom I grew to detest.  Needless-to-say I never wore either one so I decided to talk to Pierre about turning the ring into a clasp for the pearls before turning the whole thing over to Andrea.

I remarked to him it felt a bit bizarre giving her this little combo, whereupon he told me that as a Buddhist one believes something good always comes out of something bad.  

You're probably saying to yourself, "what in the world does this have to do with us?"  Well probably nothing, but I love the sentiment about good coming from bad and just thought I would pass this along.  

Andrea said I could borrow her pearls any time I desired.  Now that they no longer belong to me they have a new history that starts with her new life.  

I wish I'd borrowed them to wear at her wedding, they would have been perfect with my outfit.  

No comments: